Saturday, August 4, 2007

2007 First Year Racing Recap

Collegiate Season
Collegiate season was so much fun. I loved the long race weekends and the van rides and sketchy motels…and I couldn’t have asked for a better team to help me out with my first year of racing!



Boston Beanpot
3rd (out of 4) in Team Time Trial
17th (out of 42) in the Road Race
14th (out of 31) in the Criterium

UVM Race Weekend
8th in the Criterium

Road race was cancelled due to snow…

Army Race Weekend in West Point, NY
1st in Team Time Trial
13th in Road Race
2nd in Individual Uphill Time Trial
2nd in Criterium



Our lovely accommodations...


Overall in the ECCC
20th out of 65 women

Minnesota Racing
So I came back home for the summer thinking I would do a few races here and there and that it would be pretty easy. Well I was wrong. It was a lot more difficult than I expected. I figured women’s cycling in Minnesota would be primarily cyclists just racing for fun. Not to say that they don’t race for fun, but there are definitely some hard core women cyclists here with a lot more experience than I have and most of them are 5-20 years older than me and have been racing for a long time. But they are all super nice and I love racing with all of them. A special thanks to Eric, Mike, Leslie, Ben, Matt, Mike B, Patrick, Lynne, Kristy, Julia, Cheryl, Sarah and everyone else I've met or raced with for introducing me to the world of MN cycling and helping me out and showing me around!

Opus Criterium 5/22
Fun course. First Race. I got dropped after a few laps and was by myself for a while until the person behind me caught up to me. We worked together until the end. The End.

Capitol Crit/State Crit Championship 6/3
Another fun course. 180 degree turn around and a slight uphill. Once again got dropped after awhile then worked with a girl Tori who turns out used to go to UVM. I had a good time racing with her.

Summit Crit 6/12
Course is on a truck driving course which is pretty neat. Very hot and humid that day and I was dehydrated. I dropped.

Mankato Crit 6/23
This race day was part of the Nature Valley Grand Prix, however obviously I was doing the amateur category. My knee had been bothering me for a few weeks and was really starting to get to me so I was in a lot of pain. I also was pushing too hard of gears so both of these lead to my dropping out after only a few laps.

Northfield Crit 7/4
I absolutely loved this course because of a short uphill. However my knee was still bothering me and still couldn’t take the high intensity of crit racing. I was the first up the hill the first lap, second the second lap, in the middle the third lap, then off the back, and then done… Mike L did awesome and landed 6th place in the 3/4 race.

Hamel TT 7/15
After a week in the Boundary Waters on the Gunflint Trail (which I rode almost every day!) I came back and did my first normal individual TT. It was a 12.5 mile rolling hill course. I got 14th out of 18 which wasn’t so bad. After the race I saw a familiar face, one of my friends that I went to high school with. Turns out she did the race too. It was her very first race and she got 12th! And her dad, who does a lot of TTs got 2nd in the Masters division.



St. Cloud Race Weekend 7/21-7/22
I opted out of the 45 mile road race because of my knee. In the 5 mile ITT I did alright. It was very windy but not that bad. Eric, Mike L, Mike B, and I got dinner and stayed the night in a hoppin' Motel 6. I was the first one up for my Crit early in the AM. I managed to stay in the main pack for the entire race until the last 15 seconds! This was a huge accomplishment for me after the last few races! And I even lead a lap for once. We hung out in the Hoigaards tent the rest of the day and I watched the rest of the races. Eric broke away and lead for quite a while in the Cat 3 race and landed a prime (turned out to be a handy dandy duffel bag/suitcase!)



Dakota Tech Crit 7/24
I started off in the main pack. There were a few attacks and eventually I wasn’t able to make one of them. I tried to get back on and was about 5 feet away from getting back on when another attack was made and I wasn’t able to hang on. So I rode by myself for awhile until Lynne and Dano from behind caught up with me. We worked together until the end when they both outsprinted me. Later in the evening Eric did great and got 3rd in the 3/4/5 race.

Black Dog TT 7/25
I got last in the Women’s Stock Division with a time of 20.21. I had ridden the course for my warm up so I thought I knew where the finish was. Well as I’m racing and nearing the finish I see this lady with a stop watch and figure that’s the finish so I sprint to her and then slowed down. Well it turns out the finish was actually about 30 feet ahead, which due to my zoning out and not looking ahread, I didn’t notice until I actually crossed that line. Oh well...

Dakota Tech Crit 7/31
Last race of the series. Due to traffic I didn’t get there until 2 minutes before my race started so I just registered as fast as I could and got to the start line. As I suspected with no warm up my muscles were dead after not even one lap. I finished though. Then I decided to do the Mens 4/5 race since I was then thoroughly warmed up. Staying in the Men’s 4/5 didn’t last long though…but Mike got second in the Cat 3/4/5 which was awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey fun to meet you as well.
I went to college in NH...UVM is an awesome place to be. I am jealous. Cool that you are studying to be a PT. GREAT profession. I would know :)
Julia, MPT